Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Get the best deal on a new fridge and don't leave your house!


I wanted to pass along this tip after purchasing a new fridge but you could use this strategy on any appliance. Here's how I did it:

  1. Once you've narrowed it down to the model you want and if you know all the exact specifications I'd recommend shopping via phone.
  2. My script went something like this "Hello salesperson X, I'm Y and I'm looking to purchase a refrigerator before the end of the day I was wondering if you were interesting in the opportunity to earn my business.
  3. Then I'd detail exactly what I was looking to purchase: Brand, Model #, the colour/metal, size in cubic feet, right-hand or left-hand hinge for the door.
  4. I'd get the salesperson to provide a quote for the Fridge, Delivery and then I'd go over the taxes on each and have them agree with my final "all-in" price. Next check to see whether they have it in stock and when you'd get delivery.
Overall this was a great experience I ended up at the typical 20% range off MRSP (discounts you can expect range from 20 to 25% depending on time of year, brand and model). Best of all I didn't have to leave home - saved the gas and frustration of driving all over the city. Given the price of gas and the time involved my bidding process took a total of one hour and got to an end result much faster. Yes there may be those that say face to face, belly to belly haggling with a salesperson might yield a greater discount but as with all things in life there is a cost. I think that this is likely the most efficient method and got me the near lowest cost given that we were only buying a single appliance and couldn't piggy-back an order together with family or friends.

Digg It!