Sunday, December 16, 2007

"How Starbucks Saved My Life" Book Review

I just finished reading "How Starbucks Saved My Life" by Michael Gates Gill an interesting book about the events that conspire to turn a man's life around. In short the story follows the life changing experiences that take the author from being a Creative Director at J Walter Thompson to unemployment and despair. The book follows the twists and turns that lead Mr. Gill to become a barista in a New York Starbucks rediscovering self-respect and happiness in his new life.


While I found that the book dragged when it described his childhood and College years as a person of wealth I tended to skip over this areas as they held little to no interest to me. The real story in this book that kept me reading was the changes he underwent and the interactions with his much younger co-workers at Starbucks. Having read a number of different business books about Starbucks this is an interested look inside the organization and the unique culture that the company has created.

Digg It!