Sunday, September 16, 2007

"Hark" by Ed McBain - Book Review

I'm a big fan of long run serials since I really enjoy following the work
of my favorite mystery writers (MC Beaton, Lee Child, Harlan Coben, Michael Connelly, Janet Evanovich, Elmore Leonard) was the reason behind my picking up "Hark".

"Hark", details the adventures of a group of detectives in the 87th precinct in New York as they track a killer known as the "deaf man". Though 300 pages we're lead on a chase by the "deaf man" as the detectives in this police procedural attempt to figure out and prevent his next crime. In general core story line is solid as the detectives work their way through what seems like a never ending stream of coded clues that reveal the "deaf man's" dark intentions. The character development is top notch and the main story line is easy to read. My only complaint is that the story branches off to follow the activities of each of main characters creating at times a few too many subplots for my taste.

In general, I came away intrigued enough to pickup another in the 87th precinct series "Nocturne". I'll have a read and give you an update as to whether this group of characters grows on me.

Bottom line - "Hark" is worth throwing in the suitcase if you're headed for a trip and want a book to distract you.

Digg It!